Vehicle Development Engineer
Vehicle Dynamics Performance Engineer whose primary responsibility is to achieve the vehicle team’s functional objectives; determine appropriate targets; and lead ride, handling, and steering development of vehicles. The selected candidate will work with a cross functional team.
Primary customer interface for developing/tuning our suspension systems in our customer’s vehicles Ride tune suspension system components (dampers, damper modules, ECU calibrations) Become an expert on our system and component functional characteristics Objective vehicle data acquisition initiated and understood Focal point for agreement with our customers on vehicle ride performance results On-site customer contact (Michigan and Arizona) Occasional international tuning sessions with customer, BWI technician and BWI ride Trailer
Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering, or related field Experience in ride tuning of vehicles.
- Experience with passive dampers and/or controlled damping systems preferred.
- High level of computer skills
- High level of interpersonal/communication skills
- Willing to travel
- Strong desire to develop/work-on automobiles
- Product Engineering experience in suspension components and/or systems preferred
- 5 years of combined professional experience in the fields of engineering, vehicle development or motorsports
- 3 years of relevant experience in steering/suspension/tire release and development or vehicle dynamics development
- Vehicle ride and handling subjective evaluation experience
- Strong understanding of automotive steering and suspension components and function
- Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience in automotive ride and handling development
- High performance driving experience and proficiency
- Licensing to operate vehicles at limit on closed tracks and facilities
- Data acquisition and data processing skills
- Strong understanding of vehicle dynamics theory and application
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Organized, self-motivated, work as required supporting projects
- Proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Flexibility to work either at the Proving Grounds in Chelsea, MI or at the Tech Center in Auburn Hills Milford or Dearborn, MI
Ability to travel, 2-3 weeks at a time during winter months and occasional internationally travel throughout the year.